Aylesbury regeneration gets the go-ahead
The Aylesbury estate regeneration has been given the go-ahead, building 3,500 homes and creating new jobs in the construction trades.
Two separate applications were given the go-ahead, one for the first development site to the south-west of the estate, bordering Burgess Park, and one for the outline masterplan for the remainder.
Throughout the planning process, those who know the area best – the residents, Creation Trust and Southwark Council – have been instrumental in developing the plans.
Kate Davies, Chief Executive of Notting Hill Housing, said: “Everybody at Notting Hill housing is thrilled that we have been granted planning permission for the Aylesbury estate project.
“The Council, local residents, the Creation Trust and our staff team on the ground have all worked terribly hard in order to get us to this milestone. It has taken a lot of trust, understanding, collaboration, and vision to get here. We are very excited that redevelopment can now commence.”
The first development site will see 830 homes built, including specialist housing for older people and homes for people with learning disabilities, as well as a community facility and extensive new public open space including two new parks.
Phases two, three and four of the regeneration come under the outline masterplan permission. This will see 2,745 homes built, as well as the creation of office space, retail units, a new public square with a health centre and early years care, and more public open space, such as pocket parks and playgrounds.
Of the new homes, 50 per cent will be affordable homes, of which 75 per cent will be available at target rents for the next 250 years. The remaining 25 per cent will be for shared ownership or shared equity.